Some of these stereotypes are just plain annoying. Sometimes it makes me wonder where the stereotypes even come from, anyway, here they are…
1. All women in Scotland have red hair
Here’s an example based off the movie ‘Brave’. No, not every girl has red hair
2. Men always wear kilts, regardless of the circumstances
Regardless of the weather, situation or historical events, for some reasons Scots are always displayed as wearing kilts.
3. Men are always drunk
Much like this guy, Scots are always thought to be drunk, which could actually very well be true.
4. All men can play the bagpipes
The bagpipes are very hard to play and no, a lot of Scots cannot play them.
5. You can’t leave the house without attending the Highland Games
As much as we all love the Highland Games, we don’t always go.
6. Sheep are always in the way
No. We do not have wild sheep roaming around everywhere.
7. Scotland is only Mountainous
As displayed by this scene from James Bond, Scotland has beautiful mountains, but we also have some sh*tpits.
8. Scots are obsessed with fighting
Yes we do have a backbone, but we don’t always resort to violence.
9. Scots put on blue paint and scream about freedom
This is displayed in many movies, braveheart and Brave are good examples but no, we do not do this…
10. Scottish people don’t speak English
Yes, Scots have a unique way of speaking and writing but it is still technically English, although you may have to ask them to repeat a few times.